The City Manager shall be chosen by the council solely on the basis of his executive and administrative qualifications with special reference to his actual experience in, or his knowledge of, accepted practice in respect to the duties of his office as hereinafter set forth. At the time of his appointment, he need not be a resident of the city or state, but during his tenure of office he shall reside within the city.
Powers and duties
The City Manager shall be the chief executive officer and the head of the administrative branch of the city government. He shall be responsible to the council for the proper administration of all affairs of the city, and to that end he shall have power and shall be required to:
- Appoint, and when necessary for the good of the service, remove any officers or employees of the city except as he may authorize the head of a department to appoint and remove subordinates in such department, and to set up job classifications within each department with salaries and wages commensurate with the employee's ability and qualification.
- Prepare the budget annually and submit it to the council and be responsible for its administration after adoption.
- Prepare and submit to the council at the end of the fiscal year a complete report on the finances and administrative activities of the city for the preceding year.
- Keep the council advised of the financial condition and future needs of the city and make such recommendations as he may deem desirable or necessary.
- Perform such other duties as may be prescribed by this Charter or required of him by the council, not inconsistent with this Charter.